EDIT: WonderCon 2020 has been postponed due to COVID-19. You can read the official statement from the WonderCon team here.
Dubbed “the sister show to Comic-Con,” WonderCon has a unique history in Anaheim! The convention appeals to the same crowd as Comic-Con with exhibitors and events for comics, movies, animation, television, and more. This year, the event will take place on April 10-12, 2020 at the Anaheim Convention Center. As lovers of science fiction, comic books, and games, we’re excited about this year’s event!
If you are headed to WonderCon Anaheim 2020 this year, we’ve rounded up some of the events and speakers that we’re most excited for to help you plan your weekend! And if you’re not attending, then maybe we can convince you that 2020 is your year to attend!
There is so much to see and do at WonderCon 2020. While you can schedule out your weekend, which may be how you want to plan, we definitely recommend simply wandering around to get the full experience of WonderCon.
You’re sure to find inspiration throughout the exhibit hall, including Artists’ Alley, fan tables, and other great exhibitors. In addition to panels, attendees will also be able to catch movie premieres, educational sessions for creators and artists, games, tabletop events, autograph signings, and Q&As with industry leaders. Plus, be sure to participate in the WonderCon blood drive if you’re able. It’s in honor of legendary science fiction author Rober A. Heinlein, who was noted as having a rare blood type and being a supporter of the National Rare Blood Club.
You’ll definitely notice the cosplay characters wandering around the Anaheim Convention Center too. Don’t be shy – pose with the characters and don’t be afraid to show up in your favorite character’s costume too! Cosplay is one of the best parts of attending cons like this, so be sure to attend the Masquerade/cosplay contest — or start working on your cosplay and enter yourself.
The full schedule can be found on the WonderCon website as more details become available.
Speakers & Special Guests
WonderCon Anaheim 2020 has started announcing a few of the special guests who will be attending this year’s event and we are so pumped! This lineup includes some of the best artists, authors, and writers in the comic and science fiction industry. Here are some of this year’s attendees…
- Jason Aaron (Writer; Avengers, Conan the Barbarian, Southern Bastards)
- Alane Adams (Author; Legends of Olympus series, Legends of Orkney series)
- Jen Bartel (Artist/illustrator; co-creator Blackbird, Marvel Comics covers)
- Allen Bellman (Golden Age artist; Captain America, Human Torch
- Brian Michael Bendis (Writer; Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice)
- Donny Cates (Writer; Venom, Guardians of the Galaxy, Babyteeth)
- Michael Cho (Artist; Marvel and DC covers; writer/artist, Shoplifter)
- Mitch Gerads (Artist; Mister Miracle, Batman, Strange Adventures)
- Shannon Hale (Author; Princess Academy, Real Friends, Austenland)
- Nalo Hopkinson (Author; Blackheart Man, The House of Whispers)
- Adam Hughes (Artist; Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Hellboy)
- Irene Koh (Artist; The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars trilogy)
- Elliot S! Maggin (Writer; Superman)
- SkottieYoung (Writer/artist; Rocket Raccoon, I Hate Fairyland)
- Natalie Nourigat (Writer/artist; I Moved to Los Angeles to Work in Animation, Between Gears
- David A. Robertson (Author; When We Were Alone, Strangers)
- James Rollins (Author; Sigma series)
- Michael A. Stackpole (Author; Rogue Squadron)
- Christina “Steenz” Stewart (Cartoonist; Archival Quality)
- Trungles (Writer, artist; The Magic Fish)
- Gene Luen Yang (Writer/artist; American Born Chinese, Superman Smashes the Klan)
- Sergio Aragonés (Cartoonist: MAD magazine, Groo the Wanderer)
- Jamal Campbell (Artist/co-creator: Naomi, Far Sector)
- Mark Evanier (Writer and/or editor: The Garfield Show, Kirby, King of Comics; Groo the
- Stephanie Hans (Artist: DIE, numerous covers)
- Jim Lee (Artist: Justice League: Origin, Suicide Squad; DC Comics publisher/chief creative officer)
- David Mark Weber (Author: Honor Harrington series)
Don’t Forget Nearby Magic!
It will be a busy weekend at the Anaheim Convention Center for WonderCon attendees, but if you have a chance, we definitely recommend checking out all of the new and exciting things at the Disneyland® Resort– especially if it will be your first visit to Anaheim or the SoCal area! Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is brand new and a must-see.
If visiting the Disneyland® Resort isn’t in your schedule for your weekend visit, but you still want to experience some extra magic, the Downtown Disney District is free to visit. If you make it in time, we suggest watching the Disneyland® Resort fireworks near the fountain outside of La Brea Bakery Cafe. The Disneyland® Resort website has the most up-to-date times for the fireworks show.
The Anaheim Convention Center is always buzzing with excitement over events and conventions, and we love meeting attendees when they stay with us at Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel. Our hotel is conveniently located just 1.5 miles from the Anaheim Convention Center. We can’t wait to see some attendees during this year’s WonderCon festivities!